comscore Three people charged in baseball bat, shotgun threatening incident | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Three people charged in baseball bat, shotgun threatening incident


    Betty Anzai, left, and Travis Anzai


    Jake Gassett

Hawaii County authorities charged three people with offenses ranging from having an open liquor container in a motor vehicle, to firearms violations and terroristic threatening in connection with a fight that ended with officers using a Taser to subdue one of the suspects.

Officers responded to a home in the 1000 block of Kuahiwi Place early Monday morning and found several people confronting a 47-year-old man in front of the home, police said.

The victim and one of the suspects were armed with baseball bats, police said.

Police said an officer ordered one the suspects, Jake Gassett, 24, of Hilo, to drop the bat. But he refused and an officer used a Taser to subdue and arrest him.

Other suspects fled in separate pickup trucks.

Police stopped one of the trucks, driven by Travis Anzai, 19, in front of Mohouli Park. Officers stopped the other truck, driven by Betty Anzai, 52, on Komohana Street.

Officers and investigating detectives recovered a shotgun on Komohana Street and shotgun shells in both trucks. Police also recovered a baseball bat and an expandable baton in Betty Anzai’s truck.

Detectives said Travis Anzai had apparently wielded a shotgun before police arrived on scene and threw it in the back of a pickup truck as officers arrived.

Travis Anzai, of Hilo, was charged with two counts of first-degree terroristic threatening, having an open liquor container in a motor vehicle and firearms and ammunition charges. Bail was set at $31,250.

Betty Anzai, of Hilo, was charged with first-degree terroristic threatening and firearms charges. Her bail was set at $46,000.

Gassett, of Hilo, was also charged with first-degree terroristic threatening. His bail was set at $2,000.

A 20-year-old man, a passenger in Betty Anzai’s truck, was also arrested after police said they found brass knuckles on him. But he was released without charges as police continue their investigation.

Comments (12)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up