comscore Domestic dispute ends in officer-involved shooting at Dallas Love Field Airport | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Domestic dispute ends in officer-involved shooting at Dallas Love Field Airport


    Dallas police investigate a domestic incident between a man and woman that took place outside Baggage Claim Door 3, resulting in an officer firing at the suspect, at Dallas Love Field airport today.


    The TSA checkpoint reopens after a shooting as travelers wait in line at Love Field Airport today.

DALLAS » An officer-involved shooting prompted a lockdown this afternoon at Dallas Love Field Airport.

A police officer shot a man who had been involved in a domestic dispute with a woman outside the airport. The officer acted in self-defense after he was threatened with a large rock, a Dallas police spokesman said.

No officers were injured.

Video posted on Instagram shows officers responding before 12:30 p.m. CDT (7:30 a.m. Hawaii time) with guns drawn. At least nine shots can be heard as authorities yelled for someone to stay down.

The video also captures travelers scurrying away or standing by in confusion.

A police spokesman said he thought the wounded suspect was conscious when he was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital.

His name has not been released. The woman he was arguing with was not hurt. Her name has not been released. Police said the man was the father of the woman’s children.

The man who was wounded had been throwing large landscaping stones at a car as he fought with the woman, police said. When an officer tried to stop the altercation, the man came at him, brandishing one of the rocks.

Police said the officer tried to move away from the suspect, but the man continued to advance toward him with the rock.

Although some parts of the airport soon reopened, the baggage claim area where the shooting occurred remained closed as authorities investigated.

Mark Duebner, Dallas’ director of aviation, said the entire airport had to be emptied before normal operations could resume because some panicked passengers ran past the Transportation Security Administration checkpoint.

“Right now we’re going to have to empty the terminal, sweep it to make sure it’s empty and rescreen them,” he said. “It doesn’t take too long to get people out of the airport. It’s a question of how long it will take TSA to get everyone rescreened.”


©2016 The Dallas Morning News

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up