comscore Secret Service says no gun involved in Trump rally commotion | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Secret Service says no gun involved in Trump rally commotion

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Secret Service agents rush Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump off the stage during a campaign rally in Reno, Nev., on Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. He returned to the podium afterwards.

RENO, Nev. >> No weapon was involved in a commotion that briefly disrupted Donald Trump’s Saturday night rally and caused agents to hustle Trump from the stage, the Secret Service said.

The Republican presidential nominee had been speaking to supporters for a while when a disturbance broke out in the crowd close to the podium. Two Secret Service agents quickly surrounded Trump, then hustled him away.

In a statement, the Secret Service said a person in front of the stage had shouted “Gun!” but that no weapon was found after a search of the person and the immediate area. The person was apprehended, but officials did not identify the person or disclose whether the person had been charged with a crime.

The Secret Service said an investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Upon his return to the stage a few minutes later, Trump thanked the Secret Service and told the crowd: “Nobody said it was going to be easy for us. But we will never be stopped. Never ever be stopped.”

The Secret Service statement noted that magnetometers are used at presidential campaign sites.

“All general public attending these events must go through a magnetometer screening prior to entering a protected area,” the agency said.

Donald Trump’s son and a top campaign aide were falsely spreading the rumor that an incident at a Nevada rally was an “assassination attempt” against the candidate even though no weapon was found.

Trump’s son, Don Jr., and Dan Scavino, who runs Trump’s social media operation, re-tweeted a message that read, “Hillary ran away from rain today. Trump is back on stage minutes after assassination attempt.”

At Trump’s next rally in Denver, a pastor, introduced as Father Andre Y-Sebastian Mahanna, also falsely called the Reno incident “an attempt of murder against Mr. Trump.” Mahanna blamed the incident on the media for inciting hate against the Republican nominee.

Comments (12)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • The Chump and his supporters trying to sensationalize what could have been a very tragic event. He should just be thankful that his Secret Service detail was right there covering his sorry as-. Instead of being thankful that there was no real threat his son and advisor exaggerate what happened to make it look like his life was in danger. Pathetic and pitiful.

    • Do you associate with or defend the Democratic Party who may be involved with this type of disruption? There’s already evidence that the party was behind disruption at other Trump events. Ever wonder why the democrats do things like this?

      • Your comment is a perfect example of “confirmation bias,” a common form of delusion in the fact-free, conspiracy theory driven world of Trump supporters. Confirmation bias is defined as “the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one’s existing beliefs or theories.” In fact, this disruption happened when Trump supporters attacked a Republican carrying a “Republicans Against Trump” sign.

    • trying to sensationalize what could have been a very tragic event ??

      This is right out of the playbook of Shrillary’s hero, Saul Aulinsky.

      Felony-Shrillary must really be getting desperate to authorize a stunt like this.

      If Trump triumphs this sorry piece of jail bait may soon find herself housed in government furnished accommodations that Mark Twain once called “strong lodgings.”

      The damage she has done to our national security outstrips even that done by Julius and Ethel Rosenberg and, you may recall, both of them were transferred to Sing Sing 63 years ago so they could take a ride on Old Sparky.

      • “What could have been a tragic event” was, in fact, Trump supporters attacking a Republican carrying a sign that said “Republicans Against Trump,” and it is right out of Mussolini’s playbook, not Aulinsky’s.

  • Hey Trump, you were sh__tting bricks, eh when you were running off stage? Did your son and campaign aide mention that in their falsely spread rumor of an “assassination attempt?” That’s what goes on with you and your family, eh? I guess he learned that from YOU. Since there was no gun found, probably THEY set up the “assassination attempt.”

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up