A hazardous materials team from the Maui Fire Department capped refrigerant leaking from the Island Grocery Depot in Kahului Saturday night and deemed the area safe early Sunday morning.
Employees discovered a foggy cloud or smoke inside the building on Amala Place. Firefighters responded at 9 p.m. Saturday and discovered a gas leak from refrigeration equipment over some chiller boxes, Maui fire officials said.
Three firefighters donned breathing equipment and protective gear while a service technician outside monitored their movements with a camera monitor and helped them stop the leak of a refrigerant called Freon 44A, fire officials said.
The building was ventilated for about an hour and firefighters deemed the area safe when crews left the scene at 12:50 a.m.