comscore German police arrest suspect in boy’s killing, find 2nd body | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

German police arrest suspect in boy’s killing, find 2nd body

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Undated photo provided by police in Bochum shows 19-year-old Marcel Hesse. Police have launched a manhunt for the man who allegedly killed a 9-year-old boy in the western town of Herne and boasted about the murder on a video posted online.

BERLIN >> A 19-year-old man suspected of killing a 9-year-old boy in the German city of Herne and posting pictures of the victim’s body on the internet was arrested Thursday, police said.

Officers made the arrest after the man called from a fast food stall and reported a fire in a nearby apartment, where police later found another male body, police spokesman Gunnar Wortmann told The Associated Press.

Earlier information about two more bodies being found in the apartment was incorrect, Wortmann said. Preliminary information indicated the second body appeared to be that of an adult, he said.

The suspect, named by police as Marcel Hesse, had been sought since the killing of a neighbor’s child on Monday.

The killing shocked the gritty industrial city of Herne, not least because police said the suspect had boasted about his actions online.

Authorities said Hesse had posted a photo and video of the slain child online to boast about the killing.

North Rhine-Westphalia’s top security official, Interior Minister Ralf Jaeger, said at the time that the images “left even the investigators stunned.”

Hesse was clearly identifiable, standing with bloody hands next to his victim, police said.

A large-scale manhunt was launched, with police using helicopters and sniffer dogs to search the area.

They warned the public not to approach the suspect, saying Hesse knew martial arts and could be armed and dangerous.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up