comscore Forecasters predict possible busy hurricane season for Central Pacific | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Forecasters predict possible busy hurricane season for Central Pacific


    A notable first occurred in late August 2015 when three major hurricanes — Kilo, Ignacio and Jimena — were spiraling at the same time in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean.

The Central Pacific Hurricane Center today predicted five to eight tropical cyclones for the 2017 hurricane season.

With mixed signals in regard to the potential of an El Nino formation, forecasters said climate conditions point to a near- to above-normal season in the Central Pacific basin.

The outlook calls for a 40 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season and a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season, officials said.

An average Central Pacific season sees four to five tropical cyclones, which include tropical depressions, tropical storms and hurricanes.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up