comscore Stove left on sparks grease fire at Ala Moana Center food court | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Stove left on sparks grease fire at Ala Moana Center food court

Honolulu fire investigators determined the cause of a kitchen fire at Makai Market Food Court at Ala Moana Center early today was accidental.

A stove at Aja Sushi & Bento was “inadvertently left on and ignited accumulated grease” just before 3 a.m., said Honolulu Fire Spokesman David Jenkins.

Personnel at Ala Moana Center called 911 after they observed smoke emerging from the food court. Firefighters arrived and observed a small fire in the kitchen at Aja Sushi.

The blaze was extinguished by 3:07 a.m. Damage to the kitchen was estimated at $45,000. Jenkins said the eatery’s fire extinguishing system located above the stove contained the fire and prevented about $1.2 million in damage to Aja Sushi.

No one was inside the eatery at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Other eateries at the food court were unaffected by the fire.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up