A 58-year-old man visiting from Alberta, Canada, died while snorkeling at Honolua Bay, Maui, Maui Fire Department said in a news release.
Emergency crews were alerted at 2:18 p.m. Wednesday to an unconscious snorkeler. Lifeguards arrived at 2:28 p.m. by rescue watercraft and found bystanders performing CPR on the man on the beach, MFD said.
The lifeguards took over CPR until paramedics and fire personnel could reach the victim by a long, dirt trail.
The victim could not be resuscitated, and he was pronounced dead at the scene, the Fire Department said.
The man was snorkeling with family members when he was found unconscious and brought to a rocky area of the shoreline, about 100 yards from the beach.
Bacteria-level advisory issued for Hanalei Bay
State health officials on Wednesday issued an advisory for Hanalei Bay due to elevated bacterial levels detected in the water near the pier.
The levels of enterococci were reported as exceeding the recreational water quality standards. The Department of Health’s Clean Water Branch said swimming in waters with elevated bacterial levels can cause illnesses such as gastroenteritis. The elderly and children with weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible to such illnesses.