The search for a missing 46-year-old California man who was last seen snorkeling in waters off of Haena on Kauai last week was suspended at dawn today after a three-day search.
He has been identified as Perry Bagamaspad.
“The decision to suspend an active search is never an easy one and our sincerest condolences go out to the family and friends during this difficult time,” said Petty Officer 1st Class William Cusic, watchstander of the Coast Guard Sector Honolulu in a news release.
Bagamaspad’s wife reported him missing Thursday night after he failed to return from snorkeling at Makua Beach, also known as Tunnels Beach.
Authorities said he was at the beach with his wife and entered the water at about 11:30 a.m. Thursday. He was last seen snorkeling toward the open ocean in dark board shorts and a long sleeve gray rash guard.
The Coast Guard was alerted of the missing snorkeler Friday morning. They immediately issued a marine information broadcast to mariners and deployed its cutter Galveston Island, 45-foot response boat-medium and MH-65 Dolphin helicopter in search of the snorkeler.
The Kauai County Fire Department launched its rescue helicopter and jet ski. Fire rescue and lifeguards also searched the grounds for Bagamaspad to no avail.
Since Friday, Coast Guard Spokeswoman Petty Officer 3rd Class Amanda Levasseur said the Coast Guard scoured over 675 square miles of water.
Anyone with information on Bagamaspad’s whereabouts is urged to call Kauai police at 24-1711.