Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Monday, June 17, 2024 76° Today's Paper

Live Well

No online option for Social Security Cards

The following item ran in “Kokua Line” on Oct. 5

Question: I need to replace my Social Security card. Do I have to do it online?

Answer: No. In fact, Hawaii is among about 25 states that don’t have that option; you must replace your card in person or by regular mail.

You can go online to see what documents you’ll need and to fill out and print the application, or you may pick up the application form at one of Oahu’s two Social Security offices, in Honolulu and Kapolei.

If you need assistance, you may schedule an appointment at the Honolulu office by calling 800-772-1213, said Jane Yamamoto-Burigsay, a Social Security spokeswoman.

Or you may walk in and wait at the Kapolei office, which does not offer advance appointments for Social Security card replacements, she said.

The address for the Honolulu office is Social Security Administration, 300 Ala Moana Blvd., Room 1-114, Honolulu, HI 96850.

The address in Kapolei is Social Security Administration, 970 Manawai St., Kapolei, HI 96707.

Both offices are open Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and Wednesdays from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m., Yamamoto-Burigsay said. They are closed weekends and federal holidays.

You may be able to handle this task by mail, without an office visit, by carefully following the instructions on the website and form, which you can find at ssa.gov/ssnumber/.

The Social Security Administration needs to see different documents depending on an applicant’s citizenship and the type of card requested, Yamamoto-Burigsay said. In your case, as a U.S.-born citizen requesting a replacement card, you’ll need to provide one document proving your identity, such as a U.S. passport, U.S. driver’s license or U.S. state ID.

She emphasized that only original or certified copies of any document are accepted; no photocopies.

Once you receive your replacement card, do not carry it with you. Store it in a safe place.


The following item ran in “Kokua Line” on Oct. 24

Q: I am not on Social Security, but I am starting to pay more attention. What is the “taxable maximum”?

A: The maximum earnings on which an individual pays Social Security taxes in a year. The “taxable maximum” is now $127,200 but will rise to $128,700 in 2018, according to the Social Security Administration.

Write to Kokua Line at Honolulu Star-Advertiser, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., Honolulu 96813; call 529-4773; or email kokualine@staradvertiser.com.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines. Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.