Sparks from an electric arc caused two small brush fires in Puunene on Maui.
Firefighters responded to the fires near the Puunene Post Office at 10 Hansen Road at about 2:25 p.m. Thursday following reports of a loud explosion in the area.
Fire Services Chief Edward Taomoto of the Maui Fire Department said flames were scorching brush about 150 yards from the post office.
Firefighters brought the blaze under control by 2:50 p.m. and extinguished it shortly after 3:20 p.m.
No injuries were reported and no structures were threatened.
Taomoto said the cause of the fire were sparks from an electric arc after a utility pole guy wire broke off and contacted a nearby power line.