Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Monday, May 27, 2024 74° Today's Paper


Top News

Hot stove blamed for Mililani condo fire

The Honolulu Fire Department said today a Mililani condo fire that caused about $50,000 damage last week was caused by a stove burner accidentally being turned on.

Honolulu Fire Capt. Scot Seguirant said combustibles were on the stove top when the burner was turned on, igniting the fire, which was ruled accidental.

Seguirant said a woman and her two children were sleeping at the time the fire broke out and were awoken by their barking dogs.

A smoke detector in the second-floor unit of the two-story condominium was not working.

The woman knocked down the fire with a fire extinguisher and was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The fire at 95-510 Wikao St. started at about 8:30 a.m. Thursday and was extinguished at 9:06 a.m.

It caused $40,000 in damage to the structure and $10,000 in damage to the unit’s contents.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines. Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.