comscore Century Center fire ruled accidental
911 Report | Hawaii News | Top News

Century Center fire ruled accidental

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Honolulu Fire Department investigators have determined that a fire at Century Center on Thursday evening was accidental.

According to an HFD report, the fire was caused by combustibles stored too close to a stove top when one of the burners was inadvertently turned on.

The incident occurred shortly before 6 p.m. in a 16th-floor unit of the Kalakaua Avenue high-rise. Ten HFD units staffed with 39 personnel responded to the fire, which was brought under control by 6:17 p.m. and fully extinguished by 6:21 p.m.

A woman and her child who occupy the unit were not home at the time of the blaze.

No injuries were reported but a man who evacuated the building was treated for possible smoke inhalation.

Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the structure and $1,000 to its contents.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up