comscore Inspectors determine cause of Kaneohe house fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Inspectors determine cause of Kaneohe house fire

A large fire that engulfed a home in Kaneohe Wednesday was caused by arcing in an electrical outlet, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.

Fire inspectors determined the fire was accidental.

Nine units with more than 30 firefighters responded to the blaze at a single-story home at 45-1107 Grote Road at about 6:20 p.m. When they arrived, they saw the residence fully engulfed in flames.

Firefighters brought the fire under control at 6:40 p.m. and extinguished it at 7:15 p.m.

Honolulu Fire Spokesman Capt. Scot Seguirant said a woman and her three-year-old daughter safely escaped the home. A man described as the homeowner who was conducting home repairs at the time of the blaze also escaped.

No injuries were reported.

Seven people — a man, woman and their three children — resided in the home. The American Red Cross is assisting them with living arrangements.

Damage to the home is estimated at $517,200 to the property and $25,000 to its contents.

Seguirant said the residence did not have any working smoke alarms.

Comments (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up