A house fire in Waimanalo on Christmas Day was determined to be accidental and started by an arcing electrical outlet, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman said.
The fire caused about $842,000 in damage to the single-story family home and its contents, said HFD Capt. Scot Seguirant.
He said the fire was not related to any holiday decorations.
The fire started about 3 p.m. Wednesday in the 41-200 block of Huli Street. About 25 firefighters responded with seven units and brought the blaze under control by 3:12 p.m. It was extinguished at 3:45 p.m.
Seguirant said a woman inside noticed the smell of smoke and escaped safely.
He noted the home didn’t have fire sprinklers and said they are the most effective way to protect property from a fire.