comscore Medicare might fund mobility scooter — for in-home use | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Every act of aloha counts. Click here to DONATE to the MAUI RELIEF Fund.
Live Well

Medicare might fund mobility scooter — for in-home use

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Dear Savvy Senior: I have arthritis in my hips and knees and have a difficult time getting around. What do I need to do to get a Medicare- covered electric-powered scooter or wheelchair? — Need a Ride

Dear Need: If you’re enrolled in original Medicare, getting an electric-powered mobility scooter or wheelchair that’s covered by Medicare starts with a visit to your doctor’s office.

If eligible, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost, after you’ve met your Part B deductible ($203 in 2021). You will be responsible for the remaining 20% unless you have supplemental insurance. Here’s a breakdown of how it works.

See the doc

The first step is to call your doctor or primary care provider and schedule a Medicare required, face-to-face mobility evaluation to determine your need for a power scooter or wheelchair. For you to be eligible, you’ll need to meet all of the following conditions:

>> Your health condition makes moving around your home very difficult, even with the help of a cane, crutch, walker or manual wheelchair.

>> You have significant problems performing activities of daily living like bathing, dressing, getting in or out of a bed or chair, or using the bathroom.

>> You are able to safely operate and get on and off a power mobility device, or have someone with you who is always available to help you safely use the device.

If eligible, your doctor will determine what kind of mobility equipment you’ll need based on your condition, usability in your home and ability to operate it.

It’s also important to know that Medicare coverage is dependent on your needing a wheelchair or scooter in your home. If your claim is based on needing it outside your home, it will be denied as not medically necessary, because a mobility scooter will be considered a leisure item.

Where to buy

If your doctor determines you need a power scooter or wheelchair, he or she will fill out a written order or prescription. Once you receive it, you’ll need to take it to a Medicare-approved supplier within 45 days. To find suppliers in your area, visit equipment-suppliers or call 800-633-4227.

There are, however, circumstances where you may need prior authorization for certain types of power wheelchairs. In this case, you’ll need permission from Medicare before you can get one.

Financial aid

If you have a Medicare supplemental (Medigap) policy, it might pick up some or all of the 20% cost of the mobility equipment that’s not covered by Medicare. If, however, you don’t have supplemental insurance, and can’t afford the 20% percent of the cost, you might be able to get help through Medicare Savings Programs. Call your local Medicaid office for eligibility information.

If you find that you’re not eligible for a Medicare- covered scooter or wheelchair, and you can’t afford to purchase one, renting can be a much cheaper short-term solution. Talk to a supplier about this option.

For more information about power mobility devices, call Medicare at 800-633-4227 or visit

Medicare Advantage

If you happen to have a Medicare Advantage plan (like an HMO or PPO), you’ll need to call your plan to find out the specific steps you need to take to get a power-wheelchair or scooter. Many Advantage plans have specific suppliers within the plan’s network they’ll require you to use.

Jim Miller is a contributor to NBC-TV’s “Today” program and author of “The Savvy Senior.” Send your questions to Savvy Senior, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070; or visit

Comments (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to view ongoing news coverage of the Maui wildfires. Sign up for our free e-newsletter to get the latest news delivered to your inbox. Download the Honolulu Star-Advertiser mobile app to stay on top of breaking news coverage.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up