comscore Honor those killed at Pearl Harbor, pleads USS Arizona survivor
Hawaii News

Honor those killed at Pearl Harbor, pleads USS Arizona survivor

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO/RICH PEDRONCELLI
                                Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter as seen as a young sailor in a photo displayed at his home.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO/RICH PEDRONCELLI

    Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter as seen as a young sailor in a photo displayed at his home.

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter, 102, is seen last month at his home in Grass Valley, Calif. Conter survived the devastating explosion that destroyed the battleship USS Arizona during the Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter, 102, is seen last month at his home in Grass Valley, Calif. Conter survived the devastating explosion that destroyed the battleship USS Arizona during the Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

  • U.S. NAVY
                                Smoke rose from the battleship USS Arizona as it sank during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941. The Navy and the National Park Service will host a remembrance ceremony at Pearl Harbor on Wednesday, the 81st anniversary of the attack.

    U.S. NAVY

    Smoke rose from the battleship USS Arizona as it sank during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Dec. 7, 1941. The Navy and the National Park Service will host a remembrance ceremony at Pearl Harbor on Wednesday, the 81st anniversary of the attack.

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
                                Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter, 102, holds a framed replica of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin of Dec. 7, 1941, at his home in Grass Valley, Calif.

    ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Pearl Harbor survivor Lou Conter, 102, holds a framed replica of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin of Dec. 7, 1941, at his home in Grass Valley, Calif.

USS Arizona sailor Lou Conter lived through the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor even though his battleship exploded and sank after being pierced by aerial bombs.

That makes the now 101-year-old somewhat of a celebrity, especially on the anniversary of the Dec. 7, 1941, assault. Many call him and others in the nation’s dwindling pool of Pearl Harbor survivors heroes.

Conter rejects the characterization.

“The 2,403 men that died are the heroes, and we’ve got to honor them ahead of everybody else. And I’ve said that every time, and I think it should be stressed,” Conter said in a recent interview at his Grass Valley, Calif., home north of Sacramento.

On Wednesday the Navy and the National Park Service will host a remembrance ceremony at Pearl Harbor in honor of those killed.

In 2021 about 30 survivors and some 100 other veterans of the war made the pilgrimage to the annual event. But the Navy and the National Park Service anticipate that only one or two survivors will likely attend in person this year. Another 20 to 30 veterans of World War II are also expected to be there.

Conter won’t be among them. He attended for many years, most recently in 2019. But his doctor has told him the five-hour flight, plus hours of waiting at airports, is too strenuous for him now.

“I’m going on 102 now. It’s kind of hard to mess around,” Conter said.

Instead he plans to watch a video feed of this year’s 81st-­anniversary observance from home. He’s also recorded a message that will be played for those attending.

Conter’s autobiography, “The Lou Conter Story,” recounts how one of the Japanese bombs penetrated five steel decks on the Arizona and ignited over 1 million pounds of gunpowder and thousands of pounds of ammunition.

“The ship was consumed in a giant fireball that looked as if it engulfed everything from the mainmast forward,” he wrote.

He joined other survivors in tending to the injured, many of whom were blinded and badly burned. The sailors abandoned ship only when their senior surviving officer was sure they had rescued all those still alive.

The Arizona’s 1,177 dead account for nearly half the serv­icemen killed in the bombing. The battleship today sits where it sank 81 years ago, with more than 900 of its dead still entombed inside.

Conter wasn’t injured at Pearl Harbor, during World War II or the Korean War.

This year’s remembrance ceremony is the first to be open to the public since 2019. The pandemic forced the adoption of strict public health measures for the past two years.

David Kilton, the National Park Service’s chief of interpretation for Pearl Harbor, said he’s not sure how many people will attend, but they’re anticipating between 2,000 to 3,000 people.

It will be held at the Pearl Harbor National Memorial visitors center, which overlooks the water and the white structure built to honor those killed on the Arizona.

Organizers have set a theme of “Everlasting Legacy” for this year’s ceremony, highlighting how fewer and fewer survivors remain.

“We honestly have to know and be prepared that eventually we won’t have the ability to connect with their stories and have them with us anymore,” Kilton said. “And it’s hard to come to grips with that reality.”

Conter went to flight school after Pearl Harbor, earning his wings to fly PBY patrol bombers, which the Navy used to look for submarines and bomb enemy targets. He flew 200 combat missions in the Pacific with a “Black Cats” squadron, which conducted dive bombing at night in planes painted black.

One night in 1943 he and his crew had to avoid a dozen or so nearby sharks after they were shot down near New Guinea.

When one sailor expressed doubt they would survive, Conter responded, “Baloney.”

“Don’t ever panic in any situation. ‘Survive’ is the first thing you tell them. Don’t panic or you’re dead,” he said. They were quiet and treaded water until another plane came hours later and dropped them a lifeboat.

In the late 1950s Conter was made the Navy’s first SERE officer — which is an acronym for survival, evasion, resistance and escape. He spent the next decade training Navy pilots and crew on how to survive if they’re shot down in the jungle and captured as a prisoner of war. Some of his pupils used his instruction to live through years as POWs in Vietnam.

These days he spends his time going to his favorite breakfast spot twice a week and going out for Mexican food every Friday night. He enjoys visiting with friends and watching TV.

Conter hasn’t forgotten his shipmates. He said he’d like the military to try to identify 85 Arizona sailors who were buried as unknowns in a Honolulu cemetery after the war.

“They should never give up on that issue. If they’re ever identified, I’m sure their families would want to bury them at home or wherever, but they should never give up on trying to identify them,” he said.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up