Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Saturday, June 22, 2024 84° Today's Paper


Top News

NOAA forecasts below-normal hurricane season in Central Pacific

COURTESY NOAA/NESDIS/STAR GOES-WEST
                                Satellite image of the Hawaiian Islands today.
1/1
Swipe or click to see more

COURTESY NOAA/NESDIS/STAR GOES-WEST

Satellite image of the Hawaiian Islands today.

The Central Pacific Hurricane Center today predicted a below-normal hurricane season for the waters near Hawaii.

With a developing La Nina and cooler waters in the forecast, officials said the basin is likely to see between one and four tropical cyclones during the hurricane season that starts June 1.

The Central Pacific basin, which stretches from 140 degrees west to the international dateline (180 degrees), experiences four to five storms during an average year.

In a news conference this morning, forecasters said there’s a 50% chance for a below-normal hurricane season, a 30% chance of near-normal activity and a 20% chance of an above-normal season.

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines. Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.