>> Halawa Xeriscape Garden workshops: 10:30 a.m. to noon, 99-1268 Iwaena St. Registration required. Call 748-5320 or email email@example.com.
• Gardening with Beneficial Micro-organisms: Jan. 9. Create your own beneficial microbes to promote growth of healthy plants (which require less watering and maintenance) and learn how they play a part in Bokashi composting. Cost: $5. Register by 2 p.m. Jan. 8.
• Create Your Own Kitty Planters: Jan. 9. Create a whimsical planter using a recycled milk jug to house succulents and other plants. Cost: $8. Register by 2 p.m. Jan. 8.
• Good Bug vs. Bad Bug: Jan. 23. Learn how to recognize the differences between good and bad bugs, the importance of proper plant selection in attracting beneficial bugs, and how to manage garden pests using environmentally friendly techniques. Bring samples of damaged leaves in an airtight bag, which should be kept in the refrigerator. Cost: $5. Registration begins Jan. 5 and ends 2 p.m. Jan. 22.
>> Open horticultural forum: 9 to 10 a.m. third Friday monthly, Wahiawa Botanical Garden. Learn about different garden subjects and bring questions and fresh samples in a sealed bag for observation. Free. To register, call 522-7066.
>> Daily guided tours of Lyon Arboretum: 10 a.m. daily (except Sundays), 3860 Manoa Road. Cost: $5. For reservations, call 988-0456 or 988-0461.
>> Medicinal plant tours: 1 p.m. third Saturday monthly, Foster Botanical Garden. Learn about plants and trees that were once utilized as natural remedies prior to the advent of modern medicine. Free with garden admission. To register, call 522-7066.
>> Halawa Xeriscape Garden: Located at 99-1268 Iwaena St. Call 748-5320 or visit boardofwatersupply.com.
• Brown-bag tours: Ongoing lunchtime presentation and garden tour, noon to 12:45 p.m. Wednesdays, 99-1268 Iwaena St. Call 748-5315 in advance. Visit goo.gl/d6F8U.
• Free monthly xeric seed program: Receive a complimentary seed packet and information sheet about the plant’s origin, care and facts (while supplies last), 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays. For December, visitors receive Pregnant Onion seeds for a succulent known to have healing properties. Visit the garden’s office monthly to see what other xeric seeds will be available or visit facebook.com/BWSHonolulu.
>> Oahu Invasive Species Committee call for volunteers: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. second Saturday monthly, Lyon Arboretum, 3860 Manoa Road. Help remove harmful invasive plants from nearby areas. Call 266-4616 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
>> Free wood chips: Homeowners and property managers in Honolulu may sign up (with a valid email address) for an account with Chip Drop delivery service to receive free wood chips at an agreed-upon location. Visit chipdrop.in.
>> Aiea Orchid Club: 7:30 p.m. fourth Monday monthly (except December and January), Aiea Elementary School cafeteria. Visit goo.gl/q8r2m.
>> Cactus & Succulent Society of Hawaii: 7:30 p.m. third Tuesday monthly (except December), Susannah Wesley Community Center, 1117 Kaili St.; plant sales by members begin 7 p.m. Visit cssh.angelfire.com.
>> Ewa Orchid Society: 7 p.m. fourth Thursday monthly (except November and December), Ewa Elementary School cafeteria, 91-1280 Renton Road. Visit goo.gl/J3YvG.
>> Hawaii Bonsai Culture Center and Dragon Garden Bonsai: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. third Saturday monthly, Dragon Garden Nurseries/Hawaii Bonsai Culture Center, 41-909 Mahailua St., Waimanalo. Attendees are encouraged to bring their bonsai trees; bonsai master Walter Liew will be present for assistance. Free and open to the public. Call 259-6886. or visit dragongardennursery.com.
>> Hawaii Bromeliad Society: Noon last Saturday monthly, Lyon Arboretum, Manoa. Call 239-7611. or visit hawaiibromeliadsociety.org.
>> Hawaii Kai Orchid Society: 7:30 p.m. second Thursday monthly, Kamiloiki Elementary School cafeteria.
>> Honolulu Orchid Society: 7 p.m. second Wednesday monthly, Lanakila Elementary School. Visit honoluluorchidsociety.org.
>> Kaimuki Orchid Society: 7 p.m. first Tuesday monthly, Kilauea Recreation Center, 4109 Kilauea Ave. Visit goo.gl/1L2SS.
>> Kunia Orchid Society: 7 p.m. first Tuesday monthly (except April and December), Mililani District Park. Visit goo.gl/5A3xL.
>> Mililani Garden Club: 9:30 a.m. third Thursday monthly (except June through August), Mililani Recreation Center No. 6. Visitors welcome. Call 637-0488 or visit goo.gl/6zuoAd.
>> Mililani Orchid Club: 7 p.m. first Monday monthly (except January), Mililani Mauka Elementary School cafeteria, 95-1111 Makaikai St. Visit goo.gl/sf1IQ.
>> Windward Orchid Society: 7:30 p.m. first Wednesday monthly (except June and December), King Intermediate School cafeteria, 46-155 Kamehameha Highway, Kaneohe. An orchid clinic begins 7 p.m. for diagnosis of a sick plant or orchid information. Visit windwardorchidsociety.org. Orchid workshops are held second Saturday monthly (except June and November) at 45-663 Luluku Road, Kaneohe. Free and open to the public. Call 236-4104.