Microwave fire causes $320K in damage at Waikiki Banyan
  • Sunday, December 16, 2018
  • 73°

911 Report| Hawaii News| Top News

Microwave fire causes $320K in damage at Waikiki Banyan

  • ROB SHIKINA / 2015

    About 22 Honolulu firefighters responded to the scene and the automatic fire sprinklers extinguished the fire by 11:32 p.m.

ADVERTISING

Honolulu firefighters determined a microwave failure sparked a high-rise building fire Friday evening, causing an estimated $320,000 in damages.

An automatic fire sprinkler extinguished the fire and no one was injured in the incident.

The fire started at about 10:51 p.m. at Waikiki Banyan, 201 Ohua Ave., and responding firefighters discovered no visible signs of smoke or fire on the outside of the 38-story building.

About 22 firefighters responded to the scene and the automatic fire sprinklers extinguished the fire by 11:32 p.m.

Honolulu Fire Department investigators determined the fire was accidentally caused by an electrical failure of a microwave inside a unit on the 30th floor. Two occupants were reportedly in the unit at the time. They escaped safely without injuries.

“The HFD would like to encourage our visitors and residents to discuss and practice their fire evacuation plans,” fire captain Scot Seguirant said in an email. “Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere.”

Comments (6)
By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up