Monday, July 28, 2014

Print   Email   Comment | View 19 Comments   Most Popular   Save   Post   Retweet

Fried chicken chain coming to Kapahulu

By Erika Engle

LAST UPDATED: 12:28 p.m. HST, Jun 27, 2013

The Hawaii operator of Popeye's Louisiana Kitchen is building a new location at 647 Kapahulu Ave.

The Kapahulu store, expected to open in the third quarter of this year, will be the fifth Oahu location for the fast-feeder.

Its other stores are at 1515 Dillingham Blvd., at Waipahu Town Center, at the food court at the Navy Exchange Mall which is open to the public, and within the Pearl Harbor Naval Base.

The new site was blessed by Rev. William Kaina June 19.

News of the expansion comes on the heels of an announcement by KFC Hawaii that it was closing two locations, one Wednesday and one this weekend.

COMMENTS

Aieagrl wrote:
Wonderful news! I love Popeyes over KFC anyday.
on June 27,2013 | 01:07PM
sanababeets wrote:
Me too! And they always have coupons. super plus!
on June 27,2013 | 01:54PM
serious wrote:
Do they have spinach????
on June 27,2013 | 02:13PM
mikethenovice wrote:
Olive Oil?
on June 27,2013 | 07:31PM
nodaddynotthebelt wrote:
I remember when the Dillingham Popeye's location served up some fried chicken goodness the size you would no longer see here ever. The crust was crispy, thick and delicious albeit unhealthy. I went recently to check it out and was shocked to find a small drumstick, thigh and small breast piece in my three piece meal. Even the mash potatoes shrank to a small portion that is served in a concave shallow container to give it the illusion that you are getting more than you really are. The fried chicken wasn't anywhere how great it was years ago. They obviously changed the size of the chicken and the recipe to reduce costs. The one scoop of mash potato that is barely enough for a man is very telling. Again, as I have noticed with all other restaurant chains here in Hawaii is that they raise their price from their mainland counterparts. For example if you see a deal for $4.99 on the mainland commercials, be prepared to add a dollar or more to the total. And be aware that you are paying more for less. I have discovered a recipe for homemade fried chicken that is somewhat like Popeye's but with a flavor more like Kentucky Fried Chicken. I found it online and made some adjustments of my own to make it close to KFC's. My kids love it and I love it. My guests would always ask for the recipe. There is one spice that really makes it like KFC. It has the texture of Popeye's but a little of the flavor of KFC's. My family no longer go to Popeye's or KFC. I just whip up my own. It's actually cheap to make. If the Kapahulu owners are reading this, don't fall into the same way that the new owner of the Dillingham went and serve bigger pieces of chicken or you will run into the same problems that they have. Us consumers are not stupid. We know a value when we see it. You serve us small portions like Zippy's does and you will get that reputation and they won't be coming back for more. I'm all for business but I'm for value as a customer.
on June 27,2013 | 02:43PM
AmbienDaze wrote:
so tell us what that one spice is...
on June 27,2013 | 02:55PM
Fred01 wrote:
Wow! You are serious about chicken! Yum!
on June 27,2013 | 05:07PM
mikethenovice wrote:
No complain. If you have a big appetite, a buffet is a better choice. The rest of us will just toss out the big portions you are talking about into the trash, nodaddynotthbelt.
on June 27,2013 | 07:34PM
omd111 wrote:
Open up a location in KANEOHE! They would do whopping business out there.
on June 27,2013 | 03:16PM
koolau wrote:
Your suggestion has my vote! I'd be happy if one opened anywhere on the windward side.
on June 28,2013 | 04:49AM
aomohoa wrote:
I love it too, but we all know how unhealthy it is. Oh darn, maybe just once a month. LOL
on June 27,2013 | 04:43PM
808MILILANI wrote:
chicken usually is small, unless you like eat GMO chicken like KFC.
on June 27,2013 | 05:10PM
primowarrior wrote:
647 Kapahulu? I hardly go to Kapahulu any more but isn't that the old KFC store? I didn't know they had closed that one down too.
on June 27,2013 | 05:31PM
sknight wrote:
Yup, that one closed last year, and now in comes Popeye's at the same address... should make their build-out easy.
on June 28,2013 | 02:04AM
mikethenovice wrote:
Good way to make the bus smell like fried chicken.
on June 27,2013 | 07:31PM
Dtab wrote:
PLEASE MAUI KFC CLOSE SO POPEYE'S CAN COME HERE!!!!
on June 27,2013 | 08:35PM
bumbye wrote:
What makes Popeye's the best? Is it the lard? Mmmmm . . . so unhealthy, but soooooo gooooood! Spicy thigh, my favorite!
on June 27,2013 | 10:52PM
CartwrightPark wrote:
Well see how long it lasts. See Dunkin Doughnuts, Arby's, etc....
on June 28,2013 | 06:32AM