Guests at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort and Spa were evacuated early this morning after a fire broke out in the hotel’s third floor kitchen, Honolulu Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said.
The fire was reported at 3:45 a.m. and guests were allowed back inside at 4:25 a.m., Seelig said.
The cause is unattended cooking in the kitchen and the damage was estimated at $1,000.
But Seelig said the fire appeared to occur in insulation behind a kitchen vent. Most of the damage was “clean up from smoke and water in the kitchen,” he said.