Unattended stove caused house fire
A Fire Department investigator determined that an unattended stove burner ignited a nearby plastic food container, causing a two-alarm house fire in Mililani yesterday.
No one was home when the fire began at 95-1065 Kopalani St., fire Capt. Terry Seelig said. A family of two adults and three children was displaced and the American Red Cross Hawaii chapter is responding to its needs.
Damage was estimated at $200,000, much of it in heavy damage to the first floor, where the fire began. There was moderate damage to the second floor.
About 35 firefighters from seven companies fought the 7:58 a.m. fire, which was reported under control at 8:12 a.m.
Seelig said a resident returning to the home discovered the fire and called 911.
Seelig said the fire was contained to the house and did not spread to neighboring structures.
Man arrested in August phone theft
A 49-year-old man was arrested this week for stealing a cell phone from a woman in Waikiki last summer.
Police said the victim, a 26-year-old woman, identified the suspect from a photo lineup following the robbery that occurred Aug. 10.
The suspect, who was picked up Tuesday, allegedly stole the cell phone from the woman when she was using it while walking in Waikiki at 6:25 p.m. Aug. 10. The suspect grabbed the woman’s shoulders and then ran off with the cell phone.
He was arrested on a second-degree robbery charge.
Waimanalo school fire deemed arson
Honolulu police arson detectives have opened an investigation into a fire set outside a classroom at Waimanalo Elementary School on Sunday night.
Firefighters responded at 7:30 p.m. to what was initially reported as a rubbish fire at 41-1330 Kalanianaole Highway.
They found that a small fire had been set at the door of a classroom. Police said people attending a meeting at the school put out the fire.
Fire investigators later determined that the fire was intentionally set and turned the matter over to police. Damage was estimated at more than $500.