comscore Fire breaks out at Makino Chaya restaurant in Aiea
Top News

Fire breaks out at Makino Chaya restaurant in Aiea

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
  • Courtesy: Hawaii News Now
    Firefighters responded to the Makino Chaya restaurant to extinguish a kitchen fire.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

Makino Chaya in Aiea reopened at 11:45 a.m. today after damage from a small kitchen fire earlier in the morning was cleaned up, said Chris Mitchell, general manager of the restaurant.

Fire Department spokesman Capt. Terry Seelig said a sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading.

However, water damage is estimated at $30,000 to the second-floor restaurant and the 7-11 store on the first floor of the building at 98-150 Kaonohi St. 

The fire started just before 3 a.m. in a trash container in the kitchen.

Seelig said it’s not clear what ignited in the trash container. Firefighters assisted with the removal of water and cleanup after the fire.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up