An unattended rubbish fire at a Waialua farm baseyard caused an estimated $10,000 in damage to a Waialua hangpout, but could have been much worse, a fire official said.
Fire Capt. Terry Seelig said the fire in a barrel, aided by swirling winds, spread to a pile of rubbish, which in turn ran up the walls of and into a metal shipping container used for storage, possibly entering through the top.
Large tractor tires and bags of potting soil were set on fire, but "fortunately didn’t burn the fertilizer and pesticides," Seelig said.
About 35 firefighters, including a hazardous materials team, responded to the 12:40 p.m. alarm at Twin Bridge Farms, located at 67-316 Kealohanui St., about 100 yards from the Waialua Hongwanji temple.
If fire is present, fertilizers can be explosively reactive, and pesticides can cause toxic fumes and may be highly flammable.
A verbal warning was issued, but no one was cited for the illegal burning of rubbish, Seelig said.