comscore Homeless man ignites brush fire while cooking; suffers minor injuries | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Homeless man ignites brush fire while cooking; suffers minor injuries

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A homeless man was hurt Friday morning when a cooking fire got out of control and led to a brush fire at the end of Prison Street in Lahaina.

A Maui Fire Department spokesman said the man was lighting a cooking fire with a propane torch shortly before 1 a.m. and accidentally ignited his tarpaulin with the flame. 

The man tried to put the fire out and sustained minor burns to his hands. He was treated by paramedics and released at the scene. He lost some of his personal belongings in the fire.

When firefighters arrived, they found a 2,500 square foot area of heavy brush on fire and extinguished the blaze by 1:57 a.m.

 

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up