A leak from a 2,000-gallon propane tank today forced the evacuation of portions of the Ewa Beach Shopping Center and Ewa Beach Elementary School.
The leak was reported about noon.
Capt. Terry Seelig, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said about 200 students and staff members from two buildings on the elementary school were forced to leave the campus.
An additional 150 to 200 people were evacuated from the portion of the shopping center closest to Longs Drug Store.
As of 1:45 p.m., there were no reports of injuries or fire, Seelig added.
Repair crews from The Gas Co. were sent to the scene to repair the break in the gas line.
Eric Wong, co-owner of Loco Moco Drive Inn at the shopping center, said his employees have been evacuated.Eric Wong, owner of Loco Moco at the shopping center, said his employees have been evacuated.
An employee at Burger King said workers at Longs Drugs in the shopping center have also been asked to leave the premises.
The gas leak was reported about 12:45 p.m.
Loco Moco employee Michelle Samante said at least several businesses have been evacuated.
She said a police officer asked Loco Moco employees to leave because of a gas leak.
She said the source of the gas leak was behind the front entrance to Longs Drugs.