comscore Fire destroys small Kihei cottage, displaces renter
Top News

Fire destroys small Kihei cottage, displaces renter

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A fire this afternoon destroyed a small cottage in Kihei, displacing a man who rented it.

A Maui fire inspector found that the fire was accidentally caused by smoldering debris in a trash can located in the living room.

The fire caused an estimated $35,000 in damage to the 700-square-foot structure and $10,000 to its contents, a fire official said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the man with shelter, food and clothing.

Maui firefighters responded to the fire at 3:40 p.m. at 3500 Kehala Drive. The fire was brought under control at 3:56 p.m.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up