comscore Man, 57, dies after assault in downtown Honolulu | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Man, 57, dies after assault in downtown Honolulu

[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

A 35-year-old man could be facing a murder charge after the man he allegedly assaulted earlier this month died in the hospital.

Emergency Medical Services said paramedics treated a 57-year-old man  at 8:45 p.m. on July 17 at Smith Street for a small cut to his head. However, the patient refused to be taken to the hospital.

However, paramedics were called back to the Smith Street location an hour later when the victim said he had been punched multiple times and had more intensive injuries. An ambulance took the man to the hospital in serious condition.

Officers arrested the suspect on suspicion of third-degree assault following the incident at Bishop and Beretania streets.

He was released without charges, pending further investigation.

The 57-year-old victim died Tuesday at the hospital

Police reclassified the case as a second-degree murder investigation.

An autopsy will be performed Wednesday.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up