LAS VEGAS >> Prosecutors in Las Vegas might be swayed by findings of a defense investigation into a man’s claim that Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin attacked him in a Las Vegas Strip nightclub eight weeks ago, a lawyer suggested Monday.
Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Pro Tem William Jansen gave defense attorney Richard Schonfeld until Jan. 12 to talk with the district attorney about the claim by Daniel Schuman of the Los Angeles area.
District Attorney Steve Wolfson said he’d evaluate any new information he receives.
Schuman alleges Griffin grabbed him, took his cellphone and slapped him after he took a photo of Griffin and Clippers teammates early Oct. 19 at Tao nightclub at the Venetian resort.
Griffin, 25, didn’t appear in court with Schonfeld in the misdemeanor battery case. He remains free without bail.
Efforts by The Associated Press to reach Schulman have been unsuccessful, but he provided the details of the alleged attack to the celebrity news website TMZ.
Outside court Monday, Schonfeld didn’t detail the defense investigation. But he said several witnesses from the club were interviewed, and he believes prosecutors in Las Vegas are “always open to seeing the other side.”
Griffin could face up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine if he’s convicted.
Griffin and other Clippers players were at the club after playing an exhibition game against the Denver Nuggets hours earlier in Las Vegas.
Clippers spokesman Seth Burton has said the team was aware of the complaint, and the Clippers issued a statement from coach Doc Rivers saying he trusted Griffin and was very confident things would work out.
Burton on Monday declined to comment.
The Clippers play at home Monday night against the Phoenix Suns.