Firefighters investigators say a quick-thinking person prevented a one-story home in Kaimuki from burning to ground by closing a door to confine the blaze to a single room.
Reported at 10:02 a.m. Thursday in the 3500 block of Wela Street, the fire — confined to a bedroom — was brought under control 10 minutes after firefighters arrived at the scene, according to the Honolulu Fire Department.
Capt. David Jenkins, Honolulu Fire Department spokesman, said the fire was started accidentally by incense in a bedroom. The woman who discovered the blaze prevented it from spreading throughout the house by closing the door to the bedroom.
Damage was estimated at $30,000.
Four people were at home when the fire broke out.
No injuries were reported.
Ten fire companies and 36 firefighters battled the blaze.