comscore Death penalty could delay trial for accused LAX gunman | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Death penalty could delay trial for accused LAX gunman

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS
    In this Nov. 1, 2013 file photo provided to the AP, which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, police officers stand near a weapon at Los Angeles International Airport after a gunman opened fire in the terminal.
[ AD HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THIS STORY ]

LOS ANGELES » Lawyers in the case of a man facing a possible death sentence in the deadly rampage at Los Angeles International Airport are due in court to discuss possible trial dates.

The hearing Monday in federal court follows the announcement last week that prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Paul Ciancia.

A judge has said he wants the case to go to trial this year, but defense lawyers have said it would take much longer to prepare for a capital case.

Ciancia, 24, has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in the killing of Gerardo Hernandez, 39, and the wounding of three other people at LAX in November 2013.

Prosecutors say that want Ciancia put to death because he intentionally targeted federal employees and terrorized passengers and airport workers.

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up