Fire destroyed a Laupahoehoe house Wednesday afternoon and threatened to explode numerous propane tanks kept there, the Hawaii County Fire Department said in a news release.
The Fire Department said the fire also caused an electrical to break free, creating a hazard for firefighters. The homeowner reported that there were propane tanks in the house and garage, and firefighters worked to keep the fire away from the tanks, officials said. None of them exploded.
The two-story wooden house was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived six minutes after the 1:32 p.m. alarm at 36-2310 Puualaea Homestead Road.
The fire was brought under control at 2:15 p.m., and extinguished at 4 p.m.
A male occupant was treated for smoke inhalation but refused transport to a hospital. No other injuries were reported. No one else was at home at the time, but a family of three was displaced.
The blaze caused an estimated $200,000 in damage. The cause of the fire is under investigation.