A Makakilo brush fire that threatened nearby homes and prompted voluntary evacuations Monday has been fully contained, a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman said Tuesday morning.
Fire Capt. David Jenkins said crews are still on scene to extinguish hot spots. The cause of the blaze that spread nearly 80 acres across a grassy area adjacent to the H-1 freeway is undetermined at this time. HFD officials do not have estimates on damages yet, but Jenkins said no homes caught on fire.
A shelter at the Makakilo Community Park, which housed about 50 residents who chose to evacuate, closed around 7 p.m.
Jenkins said 67 firefighters from 20 companies responded to the brush fire at 3:15 p.m. The blaze was considered 60 percent contained as of 5:30 p.m. and was fully contained by 7 p.m.
He urged residents on the Leeward Coast to exercise caution as the hot, dry summer months approach. He recommended that residents keep their yards and property clear of brush.
“We want everyone to always have an emergency plan,” he said. “Every family member should know their evacuation plan, where their emergency meeting spot is…”
Last month, the owners of more than 1,000 acres of land that burned in a Makakilo blaze last summer sued the parents of the twin boys who started the fire. HFD officials had said two boys who were playing with a lighter they found outside their home started the fire in August.
In 2012, crews battled three fires, burning more than 2,200 acres, in one week in Waianae Valley.
HFD officials will hold a news conference at Magic Island May 27 to share tips on preventing wildland fires.