comscore House fire that killed Pauoa couple ruled accidental
Top News

House fire that killed Pauoa couple ruled accidental

Honolulu Star-Advertiser logo
Unlimited access to premium stories for as low as $12.95 /mo.
Get It Now

Honolulu Fire Department investigators say the fire that burned a two-story Pauoa Valley house, killing an elderly couple, was accidental.

Herbert and Jeanette Inouye, both 87, died as a result of the fire at 444 Kekuanoni Place on Aug. 10. A 15-year-old boy who lived in the house escaped without injury.

Fire spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said smoking material found in the woman’s bedroom is believed to have been the probable cause. The house was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived at 11:59 a.m.

The couple were long-time residents of Pauoa.

Herbert, a graduate of Farrington High School, served as district manager for Clairol before his retirement, while she worked as a secretary at Occidental Underwriters before her retirement.

A celebration of life for the couple is scheduled on Sept. 22 at 5:30 p.m. at Nuuanu Memorial Park. Visitation begins at 4:30 p.m. 

Comments have been disabled for this story...

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up