comscore Hoverboard bursts into flames in San Francisco Bay Area home | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Business Breaking | Top News

Hoverboard bursts into flames in San Francisco Bay Area home

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    The three largest U.S. airlines have banned hoverboards because of the potential fire danger from the lithium-ion batteries that power the devices.

BRENTWOOD, Calif. >> A hoverboard burst into flames in a San Francisco Bay Area suburban home, charring a kitchen wall but causing no injuries.

KNTV reports that a Brentwood family was at home Monday night charging the hoverboard, also known as a self-balancing scooter, when the toy started popping and crackling and burst into flames.

The flames charred some tiling and walls along the foyer leading to a bedroom, and the family called firefighters to douse the remnants of the small fire, the station reported.

About a dozen hoverboards have combusted in 10 states in recent months.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking into the safety of the entire product line.

Comments (32)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up