comscore Unattended cigarette sets residence in Kaimuki ablaze | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Hawaii News

Unattended cigarette sets residence in Kaimuki ablaze

  • JAMM AQUINO / JAQUINO@STARADVERTISER.COM

    Ten people were evacuated without injury when an unattended cigarette caused a fire Monday at a duplex on Keanu Street in Kaimuki.

Firefighters extinguished a two-alarm residential structure fire in Kaimuki early Monday that was caused by an unattended cigarette.

The fire occurred at a two-story duplex on the 3500 block of Keanu Street at about 5:21 a.m. About 32 firefighters responded and quickly brought the fire under control at 5:38 a.m. The fire was extinguished at 6:02 a.m.

Ten people who were home at the time of the fire evacuated without any injuries, said Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins.

Jenkins said a resident was smoking a cigarette and fell asleep. The fire was isolated to a bedroom on the second floor.

There were no smoke detectors in the home.

The estimated damage to the home has yet to be determined.

Jenkins reminded the public that every room in a home should have a smoke detector. It is also recommended, should a fire occur, to close bedroom doors while evacuating to help contain the fire.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up