A cooking fire injured a man and killed two cats in a condo Monday night in south Maui, firefighters said.
The fire began about 9:25 p.m. on Wailea Ekolu Place after cooking materials were left unattended on a range, said Maui Fire Department spokesman Edward Taomoto.
Firefighters arrived to find flames and smoke coming from the first floor of a two-story building. Inside, firefighters found an unresponsive 56-year-old man in the bedroom and revived him. He was taken in the hospital and was last reported to be in stable condition.
Three people living in the unit were displaced. The fire caused $550,000 in damage, which includes $150,000 in damage to the unit above.