comscore Names of victims released in Hanapepe plane crash | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Names of victims released in Hanapepe plane crash


    Investigators inspected the wreckage from a skydiving plane crash on Monday near the Port Allen Airport on Kauai.


    Marshal Cabe, left, and Phillip Cabe died in the crash of a skydiving plane on Kauai Monday.

Kauai County officials confirmed the names of the five people who died Monday when a skydiving tour plane crashed in Hanapepe.

The pilot was identified as Damien Horan, 30. The other victims were brothers Marshall Cabe, 25, and Phillip Cabe, 27, of Lawton, Okla., who were tandem jumpers; and instructors Enzo Amitrano, 43, of Koloa, and Wayne Rose, 26, of Hanapepe.

The single-engine Cessna 192H they were in crashed and burned shortly after takeoff from Port Allen Airport Monday. The plane was on a skydiving tour for SkyDive Kauai.

Autopsy results were completed today. The medical examiner determined the five men died of multiple blunt force trauma from the crash, according to county spokeswoman Sarah Blane in a news release.

Friends described Horan, originally from Ireland, as genuine and dependable.

Amitrano, originally from Chicago, moved to Hawaii in 2008 or 2009. His friend, Melissa Troop, said he had a “heart of gold.”

“He would give you the shirt off his back, fashion himself a new shirt out of leaves and sticks, and then give someone else that one, if he thought they needed it,” she said in an e-mail.

In February 2011, Amitrano married Shannon Kidney Amitrano in Hawaii. The Garden Island newspaper reported in March of that year that a fire at their Kalaheo home destroyed the couple’s kitchen and garage while they were on their honeymoon.

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board are continuing their investigation. The wreckage has been removed from the crash site and transported to a secured location at Lihue Airport.

Representatives from Continental Motors, an aircraft engine manufacturer, and Textron Inc., an airframe manufacturer, are also examining the wreckage, said NTSB investigator Maja Smith.

A preliminary report is slated to be released next week. The complete report on the investigation could take 12 to 16 months to complete.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up