comscore ‘Active shooter’ report at military base was false alarm | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

‘Active shooter’ report at military base was false alarm

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    President Barack Obama rode in his limousine as he arrived at Joint Base Andrews, Md. on June 15. Joint Base Andrews today tweeted that the base was on lockdown due to a report of an active shooter. The tweet instructed all personnel at the base in Washington’s Maryland suburbs to shelter in place and said more information would be released as it came.

  • People with arms raised were led out of the Malcolm Grow Medical facility on Andrews AFB in Morningside, Md., when the base was placed on lockdown after an active shooter was reported today. Officials said reports of an active shooter at the military post stemmed from someone who made a distress call today after seeing security forces doing a routine inspection. (Linda Davidson/The Washington Post via AP)

JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. » The military base outside Washington where the presidential plane Air Force One is stationed was temporarily locked down today after an “active shooter” report that turned out to be a false alarm.

The report stemmed from someone who made a distress call after seeing security forces doing a routine inspection. The confusion was heightened by a planned active shooter drill at Joint Base Andrews that had not yet begun. Officials said in a Facebook post today that there was no shooter and no threat to the base or workers there.

The base had been placed on lockdown about 9 a.m. after an active shooter was reported. The base is home to Air Force One and is about 20 miles from Washington.

About an hour and a half later, the military post tweeted that the lock down had been lifted, except for the medical building where the active shooter was reported.

A law enforcement official said no active shooter was found at the post. The law enforcement official was not authorized to discuss the matter by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

“Fortunately, this was not a life-threatening situation,” Col. Brad Hoagland, 11th Wing and base commander, said in the Facebook posting. “We take all threats seriously and reacted to ensure the security of those on the base.”

Vice President Joe Biden was scheduled to leave from Andrews on this morning, but his trip was delayed by the lockdown.

The vice president’s office said he was waiting out the delay at his residence at the Naval Observatory in Washington.

Biden was due in Columbus, Ohio, for a midday campaign event for former Gov. Ted Strickland, who is running for Senate.

The president, vice president and other senior government officials fly in and out of Joint Base Andrews.

President Barack Obama was last at the base Wednesday night when he returned from a trip to Ottawa, Canada

Emergency vehicles in the area of the base had on lights today, but no sirens. At least three people in camouflage and helmets could be seen walking working dogs around the three-story building. About 10:15 a.m., a few people could be seen walking out of the building, including a person being moved in a wheelchair.

Rodney Smith, the patient advocate at the Andrews medical facility, said an active-shooter exercise was scheduled for this morning, and then he was told it was a “real-world” situation.

“First it was an active-shooter exercise. Then it came back ‘real world,’” Smith said by phone this morning.

Smith said the situation was unfolding at the newer of two buildings at the Malcolm Grow Medical Facility. He was in the older building.

Associated Press Writers Sarah Brumfield and Ben Nuckols in Washington contributed to this report.

___

This story has been corrected to show that Ted Strickland is a former, not current, governor of Ohio.

Comments (2)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

  • You would be surprised to know just how many so called government drills concede with real terrorist attacks.
    Probably just a coincidence. It could be that a real attack was supposed to have taken place while this anti-terrorist drill was taking place but something happened
    for it to be put off.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up