comscore Restaurant operator responds to claims of worms in burgers | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Restaurant operator responds to claims of worms in burgers

MAYFIELD, Ky. >> A McDonald’s franchisee says he’s been unable to substantiate claims by two customers who reported finding worms in food at the fast-food chain’s restaurants in two Kentucky communities.

Michael Love, owner-operator of the two restaurants, says inspections of the restaurants by health officials did not uncover any of the problems raised by the customers.

Mayfield resident Madison Stephens told WPSD-TV that she visited the local McDonald’s on Sunday and purchased food for her and her 1-year-old son. She says that as she was about to bite into her hamburger, a live worm fell out.

At the McDonald’s in Draffenville, about 25 miles away from Mayfield, Lacey Jo Lovett says she also found a worm in her burger on Tuesday.

Stephens says she contacted McDonald’s about the incident, and they sent her a $10 gift card.

Comments (21)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

    • I find live worms or caterpillars in locally grown lettuce all the time. Sometimes they’ve been in the refrigerator for a week and they’re still alive. You do need to wash the lettuce before consuming.

  • Rantings of another utterly clueless Gold Digger. Did’t show it to McDonald’s management, didn’t happen.

    However I do remember two incidents over the years in restaurants, one in California and one in Hawaii Kai where salads were served and there was a live critter mixed in. It happens.

  • Happened to me! I bought some Hungarian spicy paprika at Safeway Beretania. It had worms in it. Small kine. Active little suckers! I did NOT add the paprika to my hamburger patty.

  • Whether that worm was actually in the burger is of question. It’s simply to easy to find such a creature in one’s food. But it does happen. A friend of mine found a small dead roach in her food, can’t remember exactly what food, fries or chili, but I saw her pick it out of her drive-in foam food container. For those interested, it was from one of those drive-ins in the vicinity of the former old CompUSA store. As far as McDonald’s, I have come to acceptance that when you eat at a restaurant you are taking a gamble. It just takes one lazy worker who does not wash his or her hands after handling an unsanitary object. I actually saw this happen at the McDonald’s in Beretania. This worker came out of the bathroom stall and went straight out the door. And who do I see handling food at the counter as soon as I go to order? The same guy. Too many times I have eaten at restaurants like this only to find myself and eating companion get sick. This and the Burger King across from this McDonald’s is where I noticed a pattern of getting sick after dining at a fast food restaurant. That’s why I have curtailed dining at these restaurants. And it doesn’t stop at fast food restaurants. I had a drink at Zippy’s Nimitz that had a lip mark on it. In other words, I received a drink with an unwashed glass. You just never know what’s in your drink or food when you eat out. It is what it is.

    • And sometimes, nay, many a time because of their mood, or the fact they don’t like you, they will deliberately spit or put slop in your order. I have it for a fact from a guy who used to be headwaiter and sommelier at an upclass restaurant.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up