The state Department of Health’s tally of hepatitis A cases rose to 288 after six new cases were reported this week.
The onset of illness for the new case ranges between June 12 and Sept. 28.
Deputy State Epidemiologist Dr. Melissa Viray said health officials remain vigilant, despite tracing the outbreak to tainted scallops and blocking further distribution. “We’re not done yet. We want to keep things under control,” she said.
The department still encourages getting vaccinated to protect against the infectious virus, and Viray said individuals who already got their first shot of the hepatitis A vaccine should ensure they get the second shot in six months.
Viray said so far there have been only a few cases involving household members or close contacts, but the department will continue to monitor for those secondary cases.
In August, the health department determined the source of the outbreak as contaminated scallops imported from the Philippines and served raw at Genki Sushi restaurants on Oahu and Kauai. The department ordered affected Genki restaurants on both islands to shut down. They were cleared to reopen three weeks later after each restaurant had been thoroughly sanitized and all employees had been medically screened and cleared.