comscore Georgetown upsets No. 13 Oregon in Maui Invitational | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Sports Breaking

Georgetown upsets No. 13 Oregon in Maui Invitational


    Georgetown guard L.J. Peak and Oregon guard Payton Pritchard battled for the ball.

LAHAINA >> Rodney Pryor had 26 points and 10 rebounds, and Georgetown withstood a furious second-half rally to hold on for a 65-61 victory over No. 13 Oregon in today’s first round of the Maui Invitational.

Georgetown (1-2) led by 17 after a superb first half, capped by Pryor’s running 3-pointer at the buzzer. The Ducks (2-2) swarmed their way back, using pressure defense to create turnovers and easy baskets in transition.

Unlike their loss to Maryland last week, the Hoyas weathered the Duck storm and will advance to the second round against No. 16 Wisconsin.

LJ Peak added 17 points and hit two free throws with 2.7 seconds left to seal Georgetown’s victory.

Payton Pritchard led Oregon with 18 points. Dillon Brooks had eight points in his first game of the season, including a long 3-pointer with 3.8 seconds left to get the Ducks within 2.

Brooks didn’t play in Oregon’s first three games while recovering from offseason foot surgery and coach Dana Altman said he would limit the preseason All-American’s minutes in Maui.

Brooks entered Monday’s game about five minutes in with the Ducks struggling.

He didn’t do much to help them.

Oregon needed six minutes to hit its first field goal and kept missing shots, going 7 for 29 from the floor in the first half. Brooks was 0-for-3 and did not score.

The Hoyas had their own problems early, but rallied behind Pryor. He hit two step-back 3-pointers late in the first half and closed it with a running, off-balance 3 at the buzzer to put Georgetown up 38-21.

Second half, roles reversed.

After solving Oregon’s extended pressure defense in the first half, the Hoyas couldn’t shake it in the second.

Georgetown missed its first 12 shots and the Ducks trimmed the lead to 38-30 on Pritchard’s 3-pointer from the wing. Oregon kept pressing and making shots, finishing off a 22-4 run to go up by one.

Georgetown fought back, turning up its defensive pressure and used a 10-2 run to go up 53-45 with 3 minutes left

Oregon tried to make a late run, but came up short.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature
Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Leave a Reply

Scroll Up