comscore Judge cancels Universal deal with Prince estate | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Features

Judge cancels Universal deal with Prince estate

  • ASSOCIATED PRESS

    Prince performs at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif. in 1985. A Minnesota judge ruled today that Universal Music Group should be released from a music rights deal with Prince’s estate. Universal struck a deal with the estate in January, but the estate later sought to cancel the deal after Warner Bros. Records claimed it conflicted with a contract it signed with Prince in 2014.

MINNEAPOLIS >> A Minnesota judge ruled today that Universal Music Group should be released from a music rights deal with Prince’s estate.

Universal struck a deal with the estate in January, but the estate later sought to cancel the deal after Warner Bros. Records claimed it conflicted with a contract it signed with Prince in 2014.

Carver County District Judge Kevin Eide granted the estate’s request in a ruling late Thursday. The judge wrote that interpreting the contracts is difficult, and it’s in the best interest of the estate to avoid costly litigation that could result if the deal isn’t canceled.

“As previously noted, this Court believes that the Estate must proceed in a cautious manner to preserve the assets of the Estate,” Eide wrote. He said while rescinding the Universal agreement “may certainly be seen as proceeding with a lack of caution, the Court believes that the other option of long and potentially expensive litigation while tying up the music rights owned by the Estate makes the other option more treacherous.”

The judge said he allowed Universal Music Group’s attorneys to see the Warner Bros. Records agreements, which contain a confidentiality clause, to try to resolve the conflict. But attorneys for Universal Music Group filed a letter last month saying their review only confirmed that Universal should be released, Eide wrote.

Eide noted that it has been suggested Universal is bluffing and would not really file a lawsuit in California if he did not rescind the contract. But based on the letter from Universal’s attorneys, “this does not appear to be a bluff,” the judge wrote.

Prince died of an accidental opioid overdose last year. In May, Eide confirmed Prince’s six siblings to be his rightful heirs, bringing them a big step closer to collecting their shares of the megastar’s multimillion-dollar estate.

Corporate publicist James Steven said Warner Music Group had no comment on the Universal ruling. A spokesman for Universal did not immediately reply to a request for comment.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up