Longs Drugs at the Kamehameha Shopping Center reopened at 7 a.m. today after they were forced to shut down last night due to a noxious odor.
Fifteen firefighters and four units including a hazardous materials unit responded to a report of a chemical spill at the store at 1620 N. School St. at about 8:15 p.m. Tuesday.
Honolulu Fire Department spokesman Capt. David Jenkins said a white vapor cloud emanated from a 125-pound refrigerant unit of the air conditioning unit, prompting an evacuation of the store.
Jenkins said one person had left the scene to seek medical attention. Emergency Medical Services evaluated two other individuals, both of whom refused to be transported to a hospital.
Contractors shut down the unit and firefighters ventilated the store and conducted air quality checks.
Jenkins said the noxious odor was reported to the state Department of Health’s Hazard Evaluation and Emergency Response Office.