comscore Firefighters rescue man stuck between walls at Walgreens | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Firefighters rescue man stuck between walls at Walgreens


    Honolulu fire and emergency personnel carried a man after freeing him from a concrete wall at the Walgreens store on Kapiolani Boulevard today.


    Honolulu firefighters attempted to free a man stuck between a wall at the Walgreens store on Kapiolani Boulevard this afternoon.


    Tenants in the former Heald College building know the man who fell as “Mike.” The photo of him was taken earlier today.


    Firefighters worked to free a man stuck between a wall at the Walgreens store on Kapiolani Boulevard.


    A man fell into a gap between two buildings on Kapiolani Boulevard while trying to retrieve a baseball.

Honolulu firefighters rescued a 55-year-old man who was stuck for more than three hours today in a small space between two concrete walls on Makaloa Street.

The man, who is believed to be homeless, became stuck between the walls of the Kapiolani Walgreens parking garage and the former Heald College site next door.

Ray Rodrigues, the property management supervisor at the former Heald College site, said he saw the man, known to those who work in the area only as “Mike,” earlier in the day after tenants complained about him throwing a ball against the Walgreens parking wall from the complex’s second level.

According to Rodrigues, the ball evidently dropped into the small space between the walls sometime later and the man fell as he tried to retrieve it with a stick.

The 12-to-15-foot fall left the man wedged horizontally between the walls, which were reported to be 7 to 9 inches apart, several feet above the ground. Passers-by heard him call for help and alerted authorities at 2:06 p.m.

The Honolulu Fire Department dispatched five units staffed with 20 personnel to the site. Rescuers, who were in verbal contact with the man, initially tried lowering a cable to him from above but the man was unable to grab it.

Firefighters on the Makaloa Street side of Walgreens ultimately used concrete-cutting saws to break through one of the walls below where the man was stuck, slicing through one foot of concrete and rebar to create an opening approximately 3 feet high and 4 feet wide.

The firefighters were able to extricate the man through the opening at 5:23 p.m.

Emergency Medical Services personnel waiting at the scene treated the man before transporting him in serious condition to a trauma center.

Comments (21)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up