Kauai will receive an initial $25 million to help recover from last month’s record rainfall and flooding after Gov. David Ige and Mayor Bernard Carvalho signed a letter of agreement today.
Kauai officials have added up $31.2 million worth of repairs for 90 public projects, including repairs to roads, bridges and parks. Ige’s office said more funds may be transferred to Kauai County as more projects are finished.
The letter of agreement signed today is similar to one that Ige signed on Wednesday with acting Mayor Roy Amemiya to release $10 million for 15 projects on Oahu following the rains and flooding. The $14.85 million worth of work includes repairs to Hahaione Channel, Kului Gulch, Kuliouou Channel and Wailupe Stream.
“The state mounted an immediate response when flooding and landslides closed highways and caused tens of millions of dollars in damage on Kauai and Oahu last month,” Ige said in a statement. “This funding is the next step in the recovery process and makes it possible for the counties to move forward with repairs to public facilities.”
On May 10, Ige signed SB 192 (Act 12) that set aside $125 million for the recovery effort: $100 million for Kauai; and $25 million for Oahu.