comscore Fire chars unpermitted home on Big Isle | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Top News

Fire chars unpermitted home on Big Isle

Hawaii island firefighters responded to a fire at a home in Ocean View Sunday afternoon.

The fire broke out at an unpermitted single-story residential structure at 92-8707 Bamboo Lane shortly before 2:20 p.m. When firefighters arrived, the home was fully engulfed in flames, said the Hawaii County Fire Department in a news release.

The occupants of the home escaped the fire before firefighters arrived. Firefighters brought the blaze under control at 3:20 p.m. and extinguished it at 4:50 p.m.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire was a possible malfunction of a generator under the structure, according to the fire department. Damage to the home was estimated at $25,000.

Comments (0)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Be the first to know
Get web push notifications from Star-Advertiser when the next breaking story happens — it's FREE! You just need a supported web browser.
Subscribe for this feature

Scroll Up