comscore Unattended candle causes Nuuanu house fire | Honolulu Star-Advertiser
911 Report | Hawaii News | Top News

Unattended candle causes Nuuanu house fire


    Honolulu firefighters battle a fire that broke out at a home on Huene Street in Nuuanu Sunday morning.

Honolulu Fire Department investigators determined that a Nuuanu house fire Sunday morning was accidentally caused by an unattended candle.

An off-duty firefighter helped a man and his mother escape from the house, and no one was injured.

Investigators also determined that the fire caused an estimated $611,000 in damage to the structure and $100,000 to its contents.

HFD responded at 7:38 a.m. Sunday with 10 units and 43 personnel to 2460 Huene St.

The two-story single-family home was fully involved upon their arrival. The fire was brought under control at 8:25 a.m. and was extinguished at 9:49 a.m.

The fire department encourages the public to use flashlights and battery-operated lighting rather than candles.

If candles are used, they should be extinguished before leaving a room or before going to sleep, HFD says.

Click here to see our full coverage of the coronavirus outbreak. Submit your coronavirus news tip.

Comments (1)

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the Terms of Service. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. Report comments if you believe they do not follow our guidelines.

Having trouble with comments? Learn more here.

Scroll Up