A child playing with a lighter sparked a building fire Tuesday morning at the Kam IV Apartments in Kalihi, according to a Honolulu Fire Department spokesman.
Ten units with more than 30 firefighters responded to the blaze that started in an apartment within the complex’s unit G at 2338 Kalaunu St. at about 10:15 a.m.
Fire investigators estimated the damage at $77,000 to the structure and $2,000 to its contents.
HFD spokesman Capt. Scot Seguirant said a woman was asleep in the three-bedroom apartment when her daughter woke her up. The woman heard the smoke alarm going off and safely escaped the unit with her five children.
Firefighters brought the fire under control at about 10:30 a.m. and declared it extinguished at 10:36 a.m.
No injuries were reported.
Seguirant said the fire started in a bedroom and was confined to the apartment.
The American Red Cross is assisting affected residents.
Fire officials say “securing matches and lighters away from children and being within view of the childgreatly reduces opportunities for unwanted fire.”